Close
newsletters Newsletters
X Instagram Youtube

Houthis claim strike on Saudi military vessel, 4 boats in Red Sea

A warehouse is partially destroyed in the Port of Mokha the day after an attack by the Houthis on the city of Mokha, held by Yemen's internationally recognized Aden-based government, August 10, 2026. (AFP Photo)
Photo
BigPhoto
A warehouse is partially destroyed in the Port of Mokha the day after an attack by the Houthis on the city of Mokha, held by Yemen's internationally recognized Aden-based government, August 10, 2026. (AFP Photo)
August 17, 2026 03:30 PM GMT+03:00

Yemen’s Iran-backed Houthi group said Monday that it had targeted a Saudi military landing ship and four accompanying patrol boats in the Red Sea off the coast of Mokha, as part of its maritime blockade of Saudi Arabia.

In a statement, the Houthi military said the attack had completely burned the Saudi landing ship. It also claimed that several of the accompanying military boats had been sunk and others had caught fire.

Houthi military spokesperson Yahya Saree said the group had used several ballistic missiles to target the landing ship belonging to the "Saudi enemy" and its four escorts.

Houthi attacks intensify

The Houthis declared a maritime blockade against Saudi Arabia on July 20. The group said it would target Saudi shipping using the Bab el-Mandeb Strait, a key gateway connecting the Red Sea with the Gulf of Aden.

Last week, a Houthi attack on a commercial vessel in the Bab el-Mandeb killed four crew members and two Yemeni rescuers.

Over the weekend, Houthi forces launched another wave of missile and drone attacks on Yemen’s Red Sea port city of al-Makha and residential areas in Marib. The strikes in al-Makha killed at least four people and wounded eight, while four others were wounded in Marib.

The navigation bridge of a sunken vessel is all that is seen at the surface of the water in the Port of Mokha the day after an attack by the Houthis on the city Mokha, held by Yemen's internationally recognised, Aden-based government on August 10, 2026. (AFP Photo)
The navigation bridge of a sunken vessel is all that is seen at the surface of the water in the Port of Mokha the day after an attack by the Houthis on the city Mokha, held by Yemen's internationally recognised, Aden-based government on August 10, 2026. (AFP Photo)

More missiles reported near Bab el-Mandeb

Separately, Yemen’s internationally recognized government in Aden reported that Houthi forces had launched a barrage of missiles toward the Bab el-Mandeb Strait and Yemen’s Red Sea coast on Monday.

The Taiz military command said it had detected two hypersonic ballistic missiles heading toward the southwestern city of Mocha and the Red Sea coast.

According to the army, the missiles were fired from the former headquarters of the 170th Air Defense Brigade on Mount Oman, east of Houthi-controlled Taiz.

August 17, 2026 04:28 PM GMT+03:00
More From Türkiye Today