Close
newsletters Newsletters
X Instagram Youtube

Iran media calls Trump’s Hormuz reopening claim ‘far from reality’

In this picture obtained from Iran's ISNA news agency on May 4, 2026, vessels are pictured anchored in the Strait of Hormuz off Bandar Abbas in southern Iran. (AFP Photo)
Photo
BigPhoto
In this picture obtained from Iran's ISNA news agency on May 4, 2026, vessels are pictured anchored in the Strait of Hormuz off Bandar Abbas in southern Iran. (AFP Photo)
May 24, 2026 01:12 AM GMT+03:00

Iran’s semi-official Fars news agency disputed U.S. President Donald Trump’s claim that the Strait of Hormuz will reopen as part of a possible peace agreement with Tehran, saying the statement is “far from reality.”

Fars said that under the latest exchanged text, the strategic waterway would remain under Iran’s management if an agreement is reached.

“Based on the latest exchanged text, if a possible agreement is reached, the Strait of Hormuz will still be under Iran’s management,” Fars reported.

Fars says passage would remain under Iran’s control

The report said Iran had agreed to allow the number of ships passing through the Strait of Hormuz to return to pre-war levels.

However, Fars said this would not mean a return to “free passage” in the pre-war sense.

“Although Iran has agreed to allow the number of passing ships to return to the level before the war, this does not at all mean ‘free passage’ to the pre-war situation,” it said.

The agency said the management of the strait, including route, timing, manner of passage and permits, would remain under Iran’s control.

“The management of the strait, determining the route, time, manner of passage, and issuing permits, will remain exclusively under the control and discretion of the Islamic Republic of Iran,” Fars reported.

It said Trump’s claim was “incomplete” and did not match reality.

US President Donald Trump raises a fist as he departs after delivering a speech about the economy at Rockland Community College Fieldhouse in Suffern, New York, May 22, 2026. (AFP Photo)
US President Donald Trump raises a fist as he departs after delivering a speech about the economy at Rockland Community College Fieldhouse in Suffern, New York, May 22, 2026. (AFP Photo)

Trump says deal details to be announced shortly

Trump earlier said in a Truth Social post that an agreement had been “largely negotiated” and was subject to finalization between the U.S., Iran and other countries involved.

“Final aspects and details of the Deal are currently being discussed, and will be announced shortly,” Trump said.

He added that the Strait of Hormuz would be opened as part of the agreement.

“In addition to many other elements of the Agreement, the Strait of Hormuz will be opened,” Trump said.

Trump also said he had held a separate call with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, which he said “went very well.”

May 24, 2026 01:13 AM GMT+03:00
More From Türkiye Today