Close
newsletters Newsletters
X Instagram Youtube

Iran says it has 'scenarios' to counter US economic pressure

People walk in front of a wall mural as daily life continues amid ongoing tensions between the United States in Tehran, Iran, on August 6, 2026. (AA Photo)
Photo
BigPhoto
People walk in front of a wall mural as daily life continues amid ongoing tensions between the United States in Tehran, Iran, on August 6, 2026. (AA Photo)
August 23, 2026 05:24 PM GMT+03:00

Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps spokesperson Hossein Mohibi said Sunday that Tehran has prepared scenarios to counter the effects of what he called the U.S. economic war, adding that Iran is ready for different hostile actions.

Mohibi was responding to U.S. President Donald Trump’s statement that Washington had launched an economic war against Iran.

The United States has been waging an economic war against Iran for 47 years, Mohibi said.

“One of the enemy’s actions is economic war,” he said. “We have scenarios to eliminate the negative effects of the enemy’s war.”

Mohibi argued that Iran easily maintains economic relations with other countries and said Tehran has no economic concerns.

The military spokesperson said the United States turned to economic warfare after failing in the military field.

He said the economic pressure was aimed at shaping perceptions among the Iranian people and creating a belief that the United States would prevail.

Claiming that Iran maintains economic relations “right next to” the United States and “bypasses” Washington, Mohibi said: “You will see the result in the near future.”

An infographic titled "UAE’s suspension of trade with Iran shuts down a key foreign trade channel for Tehran" created in Ankara, Türkiye on August 21, 2026. (AA Graphics)
An infographic titled "UAE’s suspension of trade with Iran shuts down a key foreign trade channel for Tehran" created in Ankara, Türkiye on August 21, 2026. (AA Graphics)

Pezeshkian says Iran faces 'many problems'

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian acknowledged Sunday that citizens face “many problems” after the United States launched a new wave of sanctions aimed at further isolating Iran’s economy.

“I understand we have many problems in society right now. We are trying to prevent these as much as we can,” Pezeshkian said in a speech broadcast on state television.

His comments came after the United States vowed last week to bring about the “collapse” of the Iranian regime through a newly announced sanctions campaign, nearly six months after the start of the war between the two countries.

Pezeshkian said that, because of Trump, Iran was now in “a full-scale economic, military and security war.”

“He says he is imposing the most crushing and terrifying sanctions on Iran,” Pezeshkian said.

Economic hardship fuels pressure

The Iranian government has faced several waves of mass protests in recent years, often triggered by economic hardship, including inflation, exchange rate swings and declining purchasing power.

At the end of December last year, a protest movement initially sparked by the rising cost of living turned into mass demonstrations denouncing those in power.

Authorities reported more than 3,000 deaths during the unrest, accusing the United States and Israel of orchestrating the violence.

Foreign-based nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), however, said officials launched an indiscriminate crackdown that left thousands dead.

“We are striving with all our hearts to overcome inflation, livelihood problems, and unemployment and to secure the future of the people so that they can live with dignity and pride,” Pezeshkian said Sunday.

August 23, 2026 05:25 PM GMT+03:00
More From Türkiye Today