Close
newsletters Newsletters
X Instagram Youtube

Israeli shelling, explosions hit several towns in southern Lebanon

A photograph taken from the southern Lebanese village of Chaqra shows smoke as it rises from houses targeted by Israeli tank shells in the nearby village of Mays al-Jabal on August 21, 2026. (AFP Photo)
Photo
BigPhoto
A photograph taken from the southern Lebanese village of Chaqra shows smoke as it rises from houses targeted by Israeli tank shells in the nearby village of Mays al-Jabal on August 21, 2026. (AFP Photo)
August 22, 2026 09:38 AM GMT+03:00

Israeli forces carried out heavy artillery shelling, explosions and machine-gun fire across several areas of southern Lebanon overnight and early Saturday, Lebanon’s state-run National News Agency reported.

Heavy artillery fire targeted Mansouri, the area around Bayt al-Sayyad and the outskirts of Majdal Zoun early Saturday, according to NNA.

Israeli forces also carried out extensive explosions overnight in Mansouri, Majdal Zoun and Bayt al-Sayyad.

First aid responders and residents rush to the site of an Israeli airstrike that targeted the neighborhood in the southern Lebanese village of Deir al-Zahrani on August 15 2026. (AFP Photo)
First aid responders and residents rush to the site of an Israeli airstrike that targeted the neighborhood in the southern Lebanese village of Deir al-Zahrani on August 15 2026. (AFP Photo)

Homes destroyed as attacks spread across southern towns

NNA said homes in Bayt al-Sayyad were extensively damaged, reporting that no house in the town had been left undamaged.

Similar explosions were reported in Hadatha, Beit Yahoun and Aita al-Jabal, while machine-gun fire was directed toward nearby valleys.

Israeli drones also continued flying over villages and towns in the western and central sectors of southern Lebanon, the agency said.

Arab League warns over Israeli escalation

The attacks follow earlier Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon that drew condemnation from the Arab League.

Arab League Secretary-General spokesperson Gamal Roshdy said Israeli attacks targeting civilians in Nabatieh and surrounding villages and towns since Aug. 15 represented “a clear violation of Lebanon’s sovereignty” and a dangerous escalation that could undermine efforts to resolve the conflict and end the occupation.

“Israel’s policies and practices clearly reveal the occupation’s intention to prolong the conflict, obstruct negotiations and impose a new reality on the ground that is absolutely unacceptable,” the statement said.

August 22, 2026 09:38 AM GMT+03:00
More From Türkiye Today