Close
newsletters Newsletters
X Instagram Youtube

Congressional report lists full toll of Operation Epic Fury

U.S. Marines with Maritime Raid Force rappel out of an MH-60S Sea Hawk during helicopter and roping sustainment training aboard the forward-deployed amphibious assault ship USS Tripoli (LHA 7), May 8, 2026. (Photo via U.S. Marine Corps)
Photo
BigPhoto
U.S. Marines with Maritime Raid Force rappel out of an MH-60S Sea Hawk during helicopter and roping sustainment training aboard the forward-deployed amphibious assault ship USS Tripoli (LHA 7), May 8, 2026. (Photo via U.S. Marine Corps)
May 22, 2026 12:33 PM GMT+03:00

At least 42 U.S. military aircraft have been lost or damaged since the start of Operation Epic Fury, according to a Congressional Research Service (CRS) report updated on May 13, as acting Pentagon Comptroller Jules W. Hurst III told Congress the department's cost estimate for the Iran war has risen to $29 billion.

"A lot of that increase comes from having a refined estimate on repair or replacement costs for equipment," Hurst told Congress during a May 12 hearing, explaining the rise in the Pentagon's cost estimate from $25 billion to $29 billion.

4 F-15Es, F-35, A-10 and 6 aircrew dead in tanker crash

The CRS report lists the following aircraft losses and damages, drawn from the U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) statements and news reports.

  • Three F-15E Strike Eagle fighter aircraft were shot down and destroyed by friendly fire over Kuwait on March 2, with all six aircrew ejecting safely
  • A fourth F-15E was shot down during combat operations over Iran on April 5, with both aircrew recovered in separate search-and-rescue operations
  • One F-35A Lightning II was damaged by Iranian ground fire during combat over Iran on March 19
  • One A-10 Thunderbolt II crashed and was destroyed on April 3 after enemy fire struck it during operations; the pilot ejected safely. Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Air Force General Dan Caine confirmed the A-10 loss at an April 6 press conference

Seven KC-135 Stratotanker aerial refueling aircraft were also lost or damaged.

On March 12, CENTCOM reported that two KC-135s were involved in an incident over friendly airspace. One crashed in Iraq, killing all six aircrew, while the second made an emergency landing at an undisclosed location in the region.

Five additional KC-135s were damaged on the ground at the Prince Sultan Air Base in Saudi Arabia during an Iranian missile and drone attack on March 14.

Team McConnell relocates its fleet of KC-135 Stratotankers and KC-46A Pegasus' ahead of potential severe weather at McConnell Air Force Base, Kansas, May 18, 2026. (Photo via U.S. Air Force)
Team McConnell relocates its fleet of KC-135 Stratotankers and KC-46A Pegasus' ahead of potential severe weather at McConnell Air Force Base, Kansas, May 18, 2026. (Photo via U.S. Air Force)

One E-3 Sentry airborne warning-and-control aircraft, an aging, limited-inventory platform, was struck and damaged on the ground at the Prince Sultan Air Base during an Iranian missile and drone attack on March 28.

A May 7 report noted the E-3 had been parked on an unprotected taxiway.

Two MC-130J Commando II special operations aircraft were intentionally destroyed on the ground in Iran on April 5 after they were rendered unable to depart while supporting search-and-rescue operations for the downed F-15E. All aircrew were safely evacuated in the mission.

One HH-60W Jolly Green II combat search-and-rescue helicopter sustained damage from small-arms fire on April 5, also during the F-15E rescue effort, General Caine confirmed.

The photos show the aftermath of the scene where the US MC-130J "Commando II" and the MH-6 Little Bird helicopter were destroyed inside Iran during the rescue of a downed F-15E crew member. (Photo via Telegram/Tasnimnews)
The photos show the aftermath of the scene where the US MC-130J "Commando II" and the MH-6 Little Bird helicopter were destroyed inside Iran during the rescue of a downed F-15E crew member. (Photo via Telegram/Tasnimnews)

24 MQ-9 Reapers gone

Twenty-four MQ-9 Reaper medium-altitude drones were lost since the start of operations, a figure reported on April 9.

One MQ-4C Triton high-altitude surveillance drone crashed in a mishap, according to a U.S. Navy document cited in an April 14 report.

The Reaper losses alone represent a significant strategic liability.

The aircraft cost approximately $30 million each and are no longer manufactured for U.S. forces, making the total loss worth nearly $1 billion, or roughly 20% of the Pentagon's prewar Reaper inventory.

"MQ-9s may be attritable as they are uncrewed, but they are too expensive and too few with no active production line to be considered expendable," Becca Wasser, defense lead at Bloomberg Economics, told Bloomberg.

The actual Reaper loss total may be higher. A source with direct knowledge of the matter told Bloomberg the figure could reach 30 when drones damaged and subsequently written off are included.

Only around 10 follow-on jet-powered Avenger strike drones were ever built, making replacement of the Reaper fleet a major long-term challenge.

Variants of the Reaper continue to be produced for foreign customers.

U.S. Air Force Airmen conduct pre-flight operations on an MQ-9 Reaper aircraft during exercise Sentry South 26-2 in Gulfport, Mississippi, March 3, 2026. (Photo via U.S. Air National Guard)
U.S. Air Force Airmen conduct pre-flight operations on an MQ-9 Reaper aircraft during exercise Sentry South 26-2 in Gulfport, Mississippi, March 3, 2026. (Photo via U.S. Air National Guard)

Congress raises questions on readiness

Regarding information access, the report noted that it remains unclear whether the Pentagon has provided Congress with a full accounting of aircraft lost in Operation Epic Fury. On budgetary impact, aircraft losses could generate unplanned replacement, repair, and sustainment costs requiring supplemental appropriations.

On force sufficiency, the report flagged aging and limited-inventory platforms, such as the E-3 Sentry, as potential capability gaps that could affect operations in other theaters.

Regarding industrial base capacity, it questioned whether current production lines and supply chains could replace lost aircraft within operationally necessary timescales, noting competing demands from foreign military sales and production constraints.

On operational risk, the report said the losses may signal changes in the threat environment or adversary capabilities that could require adjustments to U.S. tactics, basing posture and operational concepts.

The estimated replacement cost for all 42 aircraft is approximately $7 billion, though valuations vary widely, given that several platforms are out of production, the Independent reported. The F-35A alone costs around $110 million; each F-15E is valued at between $65 million and $70 million in inflation-adjusted terms. Replacing the seven KC-135s could cost around $1.8 billion based on U.S. Air Force budget estimates for previous replacement purchases.

The U.S. and Israel launched Operation Epic Fury against Iran on Feb. 28. A ceasefire brokered by Pakistan took effect on April 8, though some strikes have since resumed.

The total war cost is now estimated at $29 billion.

May 22, 2026 12:38 PM GMT+03:00
More From Türkiye Today