Close
newsletters Newsletters
X Instagram Youtube

Belgium opens probe into ‘Sarajevo sniper safaris’ during Bosnian War

A Bosnian fighter shoots out of a window of a Sarajevo building during fighting on June 09, 1992. (AFP Photo)
Photo
BigPhoto
A Bosnian fighter shoots out of a window of a Sarajevo building during fighting on June 09, 1992. (AFP Photo)
May 22, 2026 11:38 AM GMT+03:00

Belgian prosecutors have opened an investigation into the possible involvement of Belgian nationals in “sniper safaris” during the Bosnian War, according to local media reports published on Thursday.

The federal prosecutors’ investigation follows a probe launched by prosecutors in Milan last November into allegations that foreign nationals traveled to besieged Sarajevo and paid large sums of money to shoot civilians during the conflict.

The claims stem from research by Italian journalist and author Ezio Gavazzeni, who alleged that participants from several countries, including Belgium, France, Germany and Italy, may have taken part in the activities.

According to Gavazzeni’s findings, individuals allegedly paid up to €100,000 ($116,102) or higher amounts to participate in shootings targeting civilians in Sarajevo.

Belgian prosecutors said they had opened the investigation based on information reported in the media but declined to provide further details, Flemish broadcaster VRT reported.

A view of the high places from which snipers fired on people living in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina on November 17, 2025. (AA Photo)
A view of the high places from which snipers fired on people living in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina on November 17, 2025. (AA Photo)

Austria also launches investigation

Separately, Austrian authorities earlier this week announced an investigation into the possible involvement of two Austrian suspects.

Austria’s Justice Ministry said the inquiry was opened on April 25 against one Austrian citizen and another unidentified individual over possible participation in alleged “sniper tours” in Sarajevo during the war.

The allegations first gained wider attention in 2022 through Slovenian filmmaker Miran Zupanic’s documentary "Sarajevo Safari."

In a book published last year, Gavazzeni wrote that alleged “weekend snipers” included individuals from Italy, France, Belgium, Switzerland, Russia and Austria.

He claimed the trips were organized through the Milan branch of a Belgium-based security company.

Gavazzeni also cited testimony from an unnamed former French soldier who said he had escorted small groups to Bosnia between 1992 and 1995, describing participants as generally affluent individuals over the age of 50.

Italian prosecutors opened their own investigation last year and questioned an 80-year-old former truck driver in February.

Bosnian War

The nearly four-year siege of Sarajevo began in April 1992 and became one of the longest sieges in modern warfare.

According to official figures, more than 11,500 civilians were killed and over 50,000 wounded during the siege carried out by Bosnian Serb forces.

Among those killed were 1,601 children.

Overall, the Bosnian War claimed around 100,000 lives, roughly half of them civilians, during the breakup of the former Yugoslavia.

May 22, 2026 11:38 AM GMT+03:00
More From Türkiye Today