Close
newsletters Newsletters
X Instagram Youtube

10 countries including Türkiye condemn Israel's flotilla assault

Israeli soldiers intercepted the Gaza-bound Global Sumud humanitarian flotilla as they captured the fleet’s live-streaming account at Sea on May 18, 2026. (Photo via Global Sumud Flotilla/HO)
Photo
BigPhoto
Israeli soldiers intercepted the Gaza-bound Global Sumud humanitarian flotilla as they captured the fleet’s live-streaming account at Sea on May 18, 2026. (Photo via Global Sumud Flotilla/HO)
May 19, 2026 08:27 AM GMT+03:00

The foreign ministers of Türkiye, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Brazil, Colombia, Indonesia, Jordan, Libya, the Maldives and Spain issued a joint statement Monday strongly condemning Israel's assault on the Global Sumud Flotilla in international waters as "a clear violation of international law and international humanitarian law."

Meanwhile, updated figures from the Global Sumud Crisis Desk showed 321 activists from 40 countries detained, 39 vessels seized and 66 Turkish nationals among those unlawfully held.

An infographic titled "Israeli army attacks Global Sumud Flotilla in international waters" was created in Istanbul, Türkiye, on May 18, 2026. (AA Infographic)
An infographic titled "Israeli army attacks Global Sumud Flotilla in international waters" was created in Istanbul, Türkiye, on May 18, 2026. (AA Infographic)

Ten foreign ministers issue a joint condemnation

The joint statement said the 10 foreign ministers "condemn in the strongest terms the renewed Israeli assaults against the Global Sumud Flotilla, a peaceful civilian humanitarian initiative aimed at drawing international attention to the catastrophic humanitarian suffering of the Palestinian people."

It recalled prior Israeli interceptions of flotillas in international waters and condemned "the continuation of hostile acts targeting civilian vessels and humanitarian activists."

The ministers called for "the immediate release of all detained activists, as well as for full respect for their rights and dignity." They called on the international community to "assume its legal and moral responsibilities, ensure the protection of civilians and humanitarian missions, and take concrete steps to end impunity and ensure accountability for these violations."

321 detained, 39 vessels seized, 66 Turkish nationals among detainees

The Global Sumud Crisis Desk confirmed 321 participants from 40 countries had been unlawfully detained and 39 vessels seized, while 13 vessels were continuing toward Gaza.

Named seized vessels included Cactus, Zio Faster, Holy Blue, Furleto, Amanda, Blue Toys, Barbaros, Isobella, Josef, Ozgurluk, Umut, Nablus and others.

Four vessels from the separate Freedom Flotilla Coalition, Kyriakos, Tenaz, Adalah and Perseverance, were also reported seized by Israel.

Israeli state television separately reported approximately 30 vessels seized and 250 detained.

Among the 66 Turkish nationals confirmed detained were Arif Yılmaz, Erol Buyuk, Huseyin Kilic, Mehmet Harput, Bilali Yildirim, Fatma Zengin, Sibel Dugan, Enver Ozturk, Hakan Kaya and Aysenur Levent Albayrak, among others named by the Crisis Desk.

Israeli military intervenes in international waters in the Mediterranean Sea to seize the Global Sumud Fleet on May 18, 2026. (Photo via Global Sumud Fleet/HO)
Israeli military intervenes in international waters in the Mediterranean Sea to seize the Global Sumud Fleet on May 18, 2026. (Photo via Global Sumud Fleet/HO)

'I saw piracy with my own eyes'

Zakaria Chris, a dual U.S.-Turkish citizen who participated in the flotilla using his Turkish passport, told Türkiye's state-run Anadolu Agency (AA), "We set out to break the inhumane blockade of Gaza. We are peaceful, we carry no weapons. We are committed to nonviolence, but the terrorist Israeli state carried out acts of terror and piracy in international waters, stopping many of our boats and vessels. I witnessed this with my own eyes."

Chris said he did not believe the U.S. government would support him in the event of an interception and noted that some vessels may have been left adrift. "We will continue toward Gaza," he added.

The operation marked Israel's third major flotilla interception in less than a year, following the April 29 assault off Crete in which 177 activists were detained and mistreated, and a similar operation in August 2025 against over 40 vessels carrying more than 500 activists from 44 countries.

May 19, 2026 09:10 AM GMT+03:00
More From Türkiye Today