Close
newsletters Newsletters
X Instagram Youtube

Durant refuses to acknowledge burner account that targeted Alperen Sengun

Alperen Sengun #28 of World Team handles the ball while defended by Kevin Durant #7 of the USA Stripes Team during the 75th NBA All-Star Game as part of NBA All-Star Weekend at Intuit Dome in Los Angeles, California, US, Feb. 15, 2026. (AFP Photo)
Photo
BigPhoto
Alperen Sengun #28 of World Team handles the ball while defended by Kevin Durant #7 of the USA Stripes Team during the 75th NBA All-Star Game as part of NBA All-Star Weekend at Intuit Dome in Los Angeles, California, US, Feb. 15, 2026. (AFP Photo)
February 19, 2026 05:23 PM GMT+03:00

Houston Rockets star Kevin Durant has addressed online speculation linking him to an anonymous social media account after alleged leaked messages criticizing teammate Alperen Sengun circulated widely online, while declining to confirm or deny any connection and insisting his focus remains on the NBA season.

Alleged messages place Alperen Sengun at center of controversy

The debate began after screenshots shared on social media appeared to show direct messages from a private X account, @gethigher77, criticizing several Houston Rockets players, with Turkish All-Star center Alperen Sengun emerging as one of the most discussed names in the alleged exchanges.

The account, created in August 2021 with a limited number of followers, reportedly switched to private shortly after the screenshots spread during the NBA All-Star break.

Durant avoids speculation, shifts attention back to season

Speaking to reporters following practice on Feb. 18, 2026, Durant acknowledged the questions but avoided engaging directly with the allegations, emphasizing that his attention remains on basketball rather than social media discussions.

“I know you’ve got to ask these questions, but I’m not here to get into Twitter nonsense. I’m just here to focus on the season and keep it pushing, but I get why you have to ask those questions,” he said.

When asked whether the situation had been discussed inside the locker room, Durant indicated that teammates understood the situation and remained focused on their performance, adding that the team had enjoyed its break, completed a productive practice, and was preparing for an upcoming road trip.

Kevin Durant #7 high fives Alperen Sengun #28 of the Houston Rockets during the first half against the Philadelphia 76ers at Xfinity Mobile Arena in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US, Jan. 22, 2026. (AFP Photo)
Kevin Durant #7 high fives Alperen Sengun #28 of the Houston Rockets during the first half against the Philadelphia 76ers at Xfinity Mobile Arena in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US, Jan. 22, 2026. (AFP Photo)

Previous burner account admission resurfaces

The controversy has renewed attention on Durant’s earlier acknowledgment of using anonymous social media accounts.

In a 2019 interview, he explained that heightened public scrutiny during his career led him to seek private online spaces where conversations could take place without being misinterpreted.

“I wasn’t used to that amount of attention from playing basketball. I wanted a place where I could talk to my friends without anybody butting in on my conversations or mixing my words or taking everything out of context because I enjoyed that place,” Durant said at the time.

Although that past admission has fueled renewed debate, no direct evidence currently connects him to the account involved in the latest allegations.

February 19, 2026 05:24 PM GMT+03:00
More From Türkiye Today