Close
newsletters Newsletters
X Instagram Youtube

Moscow faces largest drone attack in 2 years as 620 UAVs target capital

A firefighting helicopter prepares to drop a load of water during a fire at Russian e-commerce firm Wildberries' logistics complex near the town of Podolsk, outside Moscow on August 16, 2026. (AFP Photo)
Photo
BigPhoto
A firefighting helicopter prepares to drop a load of water during a fire at Russian e-commerce firm Wildberries' logistics complex near the town of Podolsk, outside Moscow on August 16, 2026. (AFP Photo)
August 18, 2026 09:31 AM GMT+03:00

Moscow faced its largest drone attack in two years overnight, with 620 drones reported heading toward the Russian capital and 180 destroyed over the Moscow region, Mayor Sergey Sobyanin said Tuesday.

Sobyanin said on the Russian social media platform Max that the drones approached the Moscow region between Monday evening and 5:00 a.m. Tuesday, or 2:00 a.m. GMT.

“From yesterday evening until 5 a.m. today, 620 UAVs flew toward the Moscow region. Of these, 180 were destroyed over the region,” Sobyanin said.

Emergency crews were working on locations where debris from intercepted drones had fallen, he added.

The Russian Defense Ministry separately said air defense systems had downed 791 Ukrainian drones overnight across several areas, including over Moscow, the Sea of Azov and the Black Sea.

Smoke rises during a fire at Russian e-commerce firm Wildberries' logistics complex near the town of Podolsk, outside Moscow on August 16, 2026. (AFP Photo)
Smoke rises during a fire at Russian e-commerce firm Wildberries' logistics complex near the town of Podolsk, outside Moscow on August 16, 2026. (AFP Photo)

Drone debris damages buildings, triggers fires

Moscow region Gov. Andrey Vorobyov said the region had come under an intense overnight drone attack and that civilian infrastructure was damaged at several locations.

A drone struck another warehouse belonging to online retailer Wildberries near Atlant-Park in the Bogorodsky district, triggering a fire that was later contained.

Two private homes were also damaged and several fires were reported elsewhere in the Moscow region.

Three people were injured in the attack. No casualties were reported in the affected areas.

Emergency services continued working at sites where drone debris had fallen.

Acting Belgorod region Gov. Aleksandr Shuvayev separately said Ukrainian military attacks on the region wounded 20 people.

The Russian Defense Ministry said the 791 drones it reported intercepting overnight were Ukrainian and were brought down by air defense systems over multiple regions and maritime areas.

Moscow sees repeated large-scale drone attacks

Sobyanin described the latest attack as the largest targeting Moscow in the past two years.

The previous largest reported attempt came on Aug. 15–16, when 600 drones were said to have flown toward the capital.

Moscow also faced several large-scale drone attacks in July, including one night in which more than 430 drones were reported intercepted.

On March 11, 2025, Sobyanin described what was then the most intensive attack on Moscow, saying 74 drones had been shot down while approaching the capital and hundreds more had been intercepted.

August 18, 2026 09:31 AM GMT+03:00
More From Türkiye Today