Close
newsletters Newsletters
X Instagram Youtube

US bars Palestinian officials from attending September UN meeting amid statehood push

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas makes a speech as he attends the Extraordinary Meeting on Palestine at the Grand National Assembly of Turkiye in Ankara, Türkiye on August 15, 2024. (AA Photo)
Photo
BigPhoto
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas makes a speech as he attends the Extraordinary Meeting on Palestine at the Grand National Assembly of Turkiye in Ankara, Türkiye on August 15, 2024. (AA Photo)
August 30, 2025 01:10 AM GMT+03:00

The United States has revoked visas for Palestinian officials, barring them from attending next month’s United Nations General Assembly in New York, a move coinciding with several Western countries’ plans to recognize a Palestinian state.

“In accordance with U.S. law, Secretary of State Marco Rubio is denying and revoking visas from members of the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) and the Palestinian Authority (PA) ahead of the upcoming United Nations General Assembly,” the State Department said in a statement Friday.

The statement said the PA Mission to the U.N. would receive waivers under the U.N. Headquarters Agreement.

The U.S. agency accused the PLO and PA of failing to repudiate terrorism, inciting violence, and pursuing “international lawfare campaigns” through the International Criminal Court and the International Court of Justice.

In a separate statement on X, State Department deputy spokesman Tommy Pigott said, “Before we take them seriously as partners in peace, the PA and PLO must completely reject terrorism and stop counterproductively pursuing the unilateral recognition of a hypothetical state.”

The final vote tally is displayed on a screen after the UN General Assmebly voted on and adopted a draft resolution calling for an immediate ceasefire in Gaza and urged all necessary measures to pressure Israel into ending the conflict, at UN Headquarters in New York City, U.S. on June 12, 2025. (AFP Photo)
The final vote tally is displayed on a screen after the UN General Assmebly voted on and adopted a draft resolution calling for an immediate ceasefire in Gaza and urged all necessary measures to pressure Israel into ending the conflict, at UN Headquarters in New York City, U.S. on June 12, 2025. (AFP Photo)

The State Department previously imposed sanctions on the PLO and PA on July 31, denying their members U.S. visas. Washington, however, has recently lifted sanctions on violent Israeli settlers accused of attacks against Palestinians.

France, the United Kingdom, Canada, and Australia have announced plans to recognize a Palestinian state at the upcoming UNGA, joining 147 countries that already do.

Palestinian officials criticized the U.S. sanctions, calling them a “response to the significant and successive achievements of Palestinian diplomacy.”

U.N. Spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said at a daily briefing that the U.N. learned of the U.S. move through press reports and would follow up with the State Department.

“We'll discuss these matters with the State Department, in line with U.N. Headquarters agreement between the U.N. and the U.S.,” he said.

Abbas plans to attend UN meeting

It was unclear whether Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas would be able to attend and deliver his usual address at the annual gathering.

However Abbas, a veteran 89-year-old leader who once had cordial relations with Washington, had planned to attend the meeting, according to the Palestinian ambassador to the United Nations, Riyad Mansour.

Dujarric emphasized that all diplomats and delegates entitled to attend the U.N. should be able to travel freely.

“We obviously hope that this will be resolved. It is important that all member states, permanent observers be able to be represented, especially, I think, in this case, with the, as we know, the upcoming two-state solution meeting that France and Saudi Arabia will host at the beginning of the GA,” he added.

Palestine’s U.N. envoy Riyad Mansour told reporters at U.N. headquarters in New York that they “will respond accordingly” once full details of the State Department decision are known.

“It was brought to my attention just about half an hour ago. We will see exactly what it means and how it applies to any of our delegation, and we will respond accordingly,” he said.

Palestine on Friday denounced the U.S. decision, calling it a violation of the 1947 U.N. Headquarters Agreement as countries prepare to recognize Palestinian statehood.

An infographic titled "10% of Palestinians in Gaza killed or injured in Israeli attacks" created in Istanbul, Türkiye on August 29, 2025. (AA Photo)
An infographic titled "10% of Palestinians in Gaza killed or injured in Israeli attacks" created in Istanbul, Türkiye on August 29, 2025. (AA Photo)

US decision won't stop wave of recognition of Palestinian state

“We express our deep astonishment at this decision and consider it a flagrant breach of the 1947 Headquarters Agreement, which guarantees the entry and protection of representatives of U.N. member states,” said Ahmed al-Deek, political adviser to the foreign minister, in remarks to Turkish news agency Anadolu.

Signed between the U.N. and the U.S. in 1947, the Headquarters Agreement obliges Washington to facilitate entry for representatives, staff, and experts of U.N. member states, regardless of political relations.

Al-Deek urged U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres and member states to resolve what he called a clear violation and said Palestinian leadership would consult with friendly nations on appropriate diplomatic steps.

He added the U.S. decision “will not stop the wave of recognition of the State of Palestine, nor the international consensus on the need to halt genocide, displacement, and annexation.”

The Palestinian Presidency expressed “deep regret and surprise” over the U.S. decision in a statement, calling it “contradictory to international law and the U.N. Headquarters Agreement,” and demanded the U.S. “reconsider and reverse its decision.”

Deputy Palestinian President Hussein al-Sheikh echoed the call on X, stating, “We call on the United States of America to reconsider and reverse its decision to deny the Palestinian delegation entry visas to New York to attend the General Assembly meetings,” emphasizing that the decision “is against international law and the rules and laws of the headquarters.”

Earlier Friday, the State Department reaffirmed its position, saying visas for PLO and PA members were canceled ahead of the September U.N. General Assembly.

Israel continues to occupy Palestinian territories and rejects a withdrawal that would allow for an independent Palestinian state with East Jerusalem as its capital along pre-1967 borders.

The U.S. move comes amid Israel’s offensive on Gaza, where more than 63,000 Palestinians have been killed in air and ground attacks since Hamas’ Oct. 7, 2023, assault in Israel.

Last November, the International Criminal Court issued arrest warrants for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and former Defense Minister Yoav Gallant for war crimes and crimes against humanity in Gaza. Israel also faces a genocide case at the International Court of Justice over its actions in the enclave.

August 30, 2025 01:17 AM GMT+03:00
More From Türkiye Today