Close
newsletters Newsletters
X Instagram Youtube

Prince Harry and Meghan to return to UK after 6 years away

Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, and his wife Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, react as Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu (unseen) gives a speech at the State Governor's House in Lagos on May 12, 2024. (AFP Photo)
Photo
BigPhoto
Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, and his wife Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, react as Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu (unseen) gives a speech at the State Governor's House in Lagos on May 12, 2024. (AFP Photo)
August 20, 2026 10:16 AM GMT+03:00

Prince Harry and his wife Meghan are set to return to the United Kingdom within weeks, six years after they stepped down as working royals, British press reported late Wednesday.

Harry, the youngest son of King Charles III, and Meghan "plan to leave the United States by the end of the month to settle in a private, non-royal residence," said to be located outside London, The Telegraph reported.

Several U.K. outlets, including the BBC, reported the couple's two children, Prince Archie, 7, and Princess Lilibet, 5, had already been enrolled in a British school for the start of the school year in early September. The couple had reportedly chosen a new house, but not one of the royal residences.

Harry and Meghan have lived in California since 2020, and the children had not seen their grandfather since 2022. Harry, 41, and Meghan, 45, left Britain for North America amid a bitter feud with his family that worsened after Harry published his memoir "Spare" and the couple gave a tell-all interview to Oprah Winfrey.

The Press Association said Charles, 77, was told Sunday of the couple's plan to return. The king "welcomes the opportunity to see more of the family in a personal capacity," but the couple's status as non-working royals will not change, PA said.

Harry has said he did not feel safe bringing his family to Britain after losing a court battle over government-funded police protection. A Home Office spokesperson said Britain's protective security system was "rigorous and proportionate."

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, and Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, arrive at the 2023 Invictus Games in Dusseldorf, western Germany, on September 13, 2023. (AFP Photo)
Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, and Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, arrive at the 2023 Invictus Games in Dusseldorf, western Germany, on September 13, 2023. (AFP Photo)

Return follows July visit and meeting with Charles

The news follows a short visit by Harry, Meghan and their children to the U.K. in early July, which included a private meeting with Charles.

Harry has said he wants to reconcile with his father, who was diagnosed with cancer two years ago. It was unclear whether Harry's brother, Prince William, and his wife, Catherine, had been informed; the brothers are reportedly estranged.

Royal commentator Richard Fitzwilliams called the move "an extraordinary development," suggesting the couple had struggled to establish themselves in Hollywood despite a Netflix deal reportedly worth $100 million and a looser follow-up agreement signed in August 2025.

The Sun reported the couple will keep their Montecito home in California and a house in Portugal. Harry's July trip was also marked by conflicting reports about whether he would stay at Buckingham Palace, a claim the palace denied.

Princess Diana poses during her visit to Footscray Park, a suburb of Melbourne, on January 27, 1988. (AFP Photo)
Princess Diana poses during her visit to Footscray Park, a suburb of Melbourne, on January 27, 1988. (AFP Photo)

Announcement coincides with Spencer's book on Diana

The news comes a day after Diana's brother, Charles Spencer, announced a book about his sister, "Swan Song: Diana, My Sister," to be published Sept. 22 in 12 languages.

Harry has long blamed the media for his mother's 1997 death in a Paris car crash. Spencer, 62, said requests for interviews ahead of the 30th anniversary of Diana's death prompted him to write down his own memories, some of which he said countered "untruths" widely accepted over time.

Spencer remains close to both his nephews; Harry, Meghan and their children reportedly visited his family home at Althorp in July, where they are said to have visited Diana's grave.

August 20, 2026 10:16 AM GMT+03:00
More From Türkiye Today