Nine people have been sentenced to life imprisonment for collaborating with Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) to carry out what Bahraini authorities described as “hostile and terrorist acts,” Bahrain’s state news agency reported Sunday.
According to the statement, the defendants were involved in gathering information on sensitive sites and facilitating related financial transfers.
Two additional defendants were sentenced to three years in prison on similar charges.
The statement said the suspects were accused of collecting information on sensitive locations and assisting with related financial transfers.
The ruling comes weeks after Bahrain’s Interior Ministry announced on May 9 that it had arrested 41 people allegedly linked to the IRGC.
The ministry said security authorities had uncovered a group connected to the IRGC, while investigations by the public prosecutor also included cases related to expressions of support for Iranian attacks.
Earlier this month, Iranian lawmaker and senior national security official Ebrahim Azizi criticized Bahrain following the arrests.
Azizi said Bahrain’s actions aligned it with the United States and warned they could jeopardize the country’s access to the Strait of Hormuz, a key maritime route for regional states.
Regional tensions have remained high since the United States and Israel launched strikes against Iran in February.
Tehran responded with attacks targeting Israel and US allies in the Gulf, while also closing the Strait of Hormuz.
Iran launched strikes on targets in Bahrain and other Gulf Arab states hosting US military bases following the outbreak of the conflict on Feb. 28.
A ceasefire took effect on April 8 through Pakistani mediation and was later extended indefinitely by U.S. President Donald Trump.