The European Union said Thursday it was encouraged by reports of progress in negotiations between the United States and Iran in Geneva, while warning that military escalation would carry serious risks for regional stability.
European Commission spokesperson for external relations Anouar El Anouni made the remarks in response to questions from journalists at the EU’s daily press briefing in Brussels.
El Anouni said the bloc welcomed reports of progress in the Geneva talks, stressing that the EU believes a sustainable solution to issues surrounding Iran’s nuclear program can only be achieved through diplomacy.
He said the EU remains in contact with all relevant parties and stands ready to contribute to resolving the issue.
“The time has long come for Iran to demonstrate that it is serious about addressing the concerns of the international community,” El Anouni said.
He emphasized the importance of compliance with international law and restraint by all sides, warning against actions that could inflame tensions in the Middle East.
“Military escalation carries the risk of very serious consequences for the stability of the region,” El Anouni said.
Meanwhile, US President Donald Trump said Thursday that Iran has at most 15 days to reach an agreement over concerns beginning with its nuclear program, suggesting the United States could launch an attack if no deal is reached.
“We’re either going to get a deal or it’s going to be unfortunate for them,” Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One.
Asked about the timeline, Trump said, “I would think that would be enough time — 10, 15 days, pretty much maximum.”
Earlier Thursday, Trump had suggested a 10-day window for Iran to reach an agreement.
“It’s proven to be over the years not easy to make a meaningful deal with Iran. We have to make a meaningful deal otherwise bad things happen,” Trump said at the inaugural meeting of the “Board of Peace,” his initiative aimed at securing stability in Gaza.
He warned at the Washington event that the United States “may have to take it a step further” without an agreement.
“You’re going to be finding out over the next probably 10 days,” he added.
Trump’s envoy Steve Witkoff and the president’s son-in-law Jared Kushner met indirectly in Geneva on Tuesday with Iran’s top diplomat, who later said there had been progress in the talks.
The negotiations come a month after Iranian authorities killed thousands of people while crushing one of the most serious challenges to the Islamic Republic since the 1979 revolution that toppled the pro-Western shah.
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio is expected to hold talks in Israel on Feb. 28 with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who has long advocated tougher action against Tehran and ordered a bombing campaign last year.