Close
newsletters Newsletters
X Instagram Youtube

Iran says enriched uranium will not be sent abroad amid US talks

This picture shows a general view of Isfahan nuclear power plant, south of Tehran, Iran on March 30, 2005. (AFP Photo)
Photo
BigPhoto
This picture shows a general view of Isfahan nuclear power plant, south of Tehran, Iran on March 30, 2005. (AFP Photo)
February 22, 2026 10:40 AM GMT+03:00

An Iranian official said enriched uranium will not be transferred outside the country during ongoing nuclear negotiations with the U.S., according to the Iranian Students News Agency (ISNA).

Speaking on condition of anonymity, the official said Iran had made clear in talks with Washington that uranium would not be taken outside the country, particularly referring to proposals concerning uranium enriched up to 60%.

“We stated in negotiations with the U.S. that uranium will not be sent outside Iran,” the official said.

However, the official noted that if an agreement is reached with the U.S., it would be possible to dilute the enriched uranium.

Commenting on statements that Russia is prepared to receive excess enriched uranium from Iran, the official said, “The Russians are aware of Iran’s position regarding the transfer of uranium.”

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told Qatar’s Al Jazeera television that Russia is ready to store Iran’s enriched uranium.

Alexey Likhachev, head of Russia’s state nuclear energy corporation Rosatom, also said the company is technically prepared to transport Iran’s enriched uranium.

Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi (L) shakes hands with International Atomic Energy Agency head Rafael Grossi during a meeting in Geneva, Switzerland on February 16, 2026. (Iranian MFA/AFP Photo)
Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi (L) shakes hands with International Atomic Energy Agency head Rafael Grossi during a meeting in Geneva, Switzerland on February 16, 2026. (Iranian MFA/AFP Photo)

Araghchi, IAEA chief discuss Geneva talks

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi held a phone call to discuss the Iran-U.S. negotiation process in Geneva.

According to a statement posted on the Iranian Foreign Ministry’s official Telegram account, the two sides exchanged views on advancing the negotiations and stressed the importance of maintaining constructive approaches and open channels of dialogue to reach a lasting understanding.

U.S. President Donald Trump delivers remarks during the inaugural meeting of the "Board of Peace" at the U.S. Institute of Peace in Washington, DC, on February 19, 2026. (AFP Photo)
U.S. President Donald Trump delivers remarks during the inaugural meeting of the "Board of Peace" at the U.S. Institute of Peace in Washington, DC, on February 19, 2026. (AFP Photo)

Iran-U.S. negotiations

Nuclear talks between Iran and the U.S., which had been suspended following Israeli and U.S. attacks on Iran in June 2025, resumed in Oman on Feb. 6.

The second round of negotiations was held on Feb. 18 in Geneva, Switzerland.

February 22, 2026 10:41 AM GMT+03:00
More From Türkiye Today