The second round of indirect nuclear negotiations between Iran and the U.S. in Geneva entered a “technical phase” on Tuesday and concluded after around four hours, Iranian state television reported.
The talks were held at the Omani Embassy in Geneva under Omani mediation, with both delegations exchanging notes on nuclear issues through mediators.
A reporter for Iran’s state broadcaster accompanying the delegation said the discussions focused on technical aspects, including nuclear, legal and economic matters.
The Iranian delegation, led by Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, was joined by a team of nuclear, legal and economic experts.
Writing on X, Araghchi said he was in Geneva with nuclear experts for “deep technical discussion” with U.N. nuclear agency chief Rafael Grossi, who was also in the city.
“I am in Geneva with real ideas to achieve a fair and equitable deal. What is not on the table: submission before threats,” he wrote.
Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei, who was part of the delegation, told the state-run IRNA news agency that the Iranian side was “fully prepared and equipped in both the technical-nuclear and economic (sanctions relief) fields,” describing the talks as result-oriented.
Baghaei confirmed that sanctions relief was discussed during the negotiations.
Sources said both sides presented practical proposals on technical issues related to Iran’s nuclear program, with Tehran insisting on the removal of sanctions.
Some reports suggested that proposals offered by Iran may not be acceptable to the American side.
The U.S. delegation was led by Special Envoy Steve Witkoff and President Donald Trump’s adviser Jared Kushner.
Both delegations held separate meetings with Omani Foreign Minister Badr Albusaidi before exchanging messages through mediators.
The first round of indirect talks took place in Muscat earlier this month, more than eight months after diplomacy was suspended following the Iran-Israel war last June.
According to Baghaei, the indirect talks were expected to continue for another two hours at one stage, but concluded after around four hours.
Both delegations left the venue and are set to return to their respective capitals before reconvening at a later date.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said after the indirect negotiations in Geneva that “the path to an agreement has begun, but we will not reach it quickly.”
“Both sides have certain positions, and bringing them closer together will take some time,” he said.
Araghchi added that compared to the previous round, more serious issues were raised and the atmosphere was more constructive during this round of talks.
“Different ideas were presented and seriously examined. As a result, we were able to reach a general understanding on certain guiding principles under which we will proceed, and we will move to the text stage of a possible agreement,” he said.