Close
newsletters Newsletters
X Instagram Youtube

Iran warns neighbors against joining US economic war

Daily life continues amid ongoing tensions between the United States in Tehran, Iran, on August 6, 2026. (AA Photo)
Photo
BigPhoto
Daily life continues amid ongoing tensions between the United States in Tehran, Iran, on August 6, 2026. (AA Photo)
August 22, 2026 11:52 PM GMT+03:00

Iran will target the economic interests of any regional country that assists the United States in what Tehran calls an "economic war," a senior Iranian security official said, warning that neighboring states risk being treated as adversaries if they cooperate with Washington's sanctions policy.

Mohsen Rezaei, secretary of Iran's Supreme National Security Council, delivered the warning during an appearance on Iranian state television, according to Anadolu Agency.

Warning to neighboring states

Addressing Washington's sustained economic pressure campaign against Iran, Rezaei said Tehran had communicated a direct message to countries in the region. "We tell all neighboring countries not to join America's economic war.

Otherwise, we will consider them an enemy," he said. He added that Iran was not seeking to widen the conflict, but stated plainly, "if countries around Iran cooperate with the Americans in the economic war, we will strike their interests."

Threat to close the Persian Gulf

Rezaei went further, saying that if regional countries backed the U.S. in the economic dispute, Iran would respond by closing the Persian Gulf in the same manner it has threatened to close the Strait of Hormuz, and would not allow "a single drop of oil" to pass through the region.

The Strait of Hormuz, a narrow waterway between Iran and Oman, is one of the world's most critical oil transit routes, and Iranian officials have periodically raised the possibility of blocking it in response to Western pressure.

The Iranian official also argued that the "reckless" policies pursued by U.S. President Donald Trump had fueled a growing global appetite for nuclear weapons, though he did not elaborate further on the claim, according to the report.

Rezaei has served as secretary of Iran's Supreme National Security Council, a body responsible for coordinating the country's defense and security policy, and previously commanded the Revolutionary Guard Corps.

August 22, 2026 11:53 PM GMT+03:00
More From Türkiye Today