Yemeni government-aligned naval forces discovered and disabled a naval mine planted by Houthi militants in the Bab al-Mandab Strait, a critical global shipping corridor, authorities said Saturday.
A naval unit affiliated with the government-aligned National Resistance Forces located the mine, which had been planted by the Iran-backed Houthi group, in a vital section of the international shipping lane, the official Saba news agency reported, citing an unnamed military source.
Forces disabled the device and took the necessary measures to eliminate the threat, according to the source.
The military source described the discovery as "a dangerous development in Houthi threats to the security of navigation" in one of the world's most important maritime passages. The Houthis did not immediately respond to the report.
Earlier Saturday, the National Resistance Forces said they had destroyed a Houthi bomb-laden boat in Bab al-Mandab, though the group did not release further details on that operation.
The Bab al-Mandab Strait, separating the Arabian Peninsula from the Horn of Africa, connects the Red Sea to the Gulf of Aden and serves as one of the busiest maritime chokepoints for global trade, including oil shipments.
Yemen has been mired in conflict since the Houthis seized control of the capital Sanaa and several provinces in 2014, prompting a Saudi-led military coalition to intervene in March 2015 in support of the internationally recognized government.