Close
newsletters Newsletters
X Instagram Youtube

Iraq seeks Iran clarification over drone attack on Barzani residence

This screen grab taken on July 15, 2026, from video footage released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards (IRGC)'s Sepah News website on July 14, 2026, allegedly shows a drone being launched from an undisclosed location towards US targets in Bahrain and Kuwait. (SEPAHNEWS.COM / AFP Photo)
Photo
BigPhoto
This screen grab taken on July 15, 2026, from video footage released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards (IRGC)'s Sepah News website on July 14, 2026, allegedly shows a drone being launched from an undisclosed location towards US targets in Bahrain and Kuwait. (SEPAHNEWS.COM / AFP Photo)
August 17, 2026 10:12 PM GMT+03:00

Iraq on Monday requested an official clarification from Tehran over a drone attack targeting the residence and private office of Masrour Barzani, prime minister of the Kurdish Regional Government (KRG).

Iraqi Foreign Minister Fuad Hussein discussed the attack with his Iranian counterpart Abbas Araghchi in a phone call, the Iraqi Foreign Ministry said in a statement.

The ministry said the attack was carried out using Hadid-110 drones.

Hussein said Iran had “previously justified” attacks in the KRG region by citing the presence of Iranian opposition parties or factions there.

The latest attack, however, directly targeted the regional premier’s residence, creating a “dangerous precedent” that could heighten tensions and threaten regional stability, he said.

Hussein condemned the “unjustified attack” and requested clarification of Iran’s official position, stressing that such actions constitute a “dangerous escalation” with negative consequences for Iraq’s security and regional stability.

Iran FM says Iran has no information linking attack to its territory

According to the Iraqi statement, Araghchi expressed surprise over the attack and said he had no information indicating that it had been launched from Iranian territory.

He said there was “no justification” for such actions given the “positive and strong relations” between the Iranian government and the KRG, particularly the region’s two main political parties.

Hussein called on Tehran to issue an “official statement” clarifying its position on the attack and identifying the parties or reasons behind it.

Araghchi said Iran rejects any action that could “fuel escalation or destabilize the region” and promised to issue an official statement outlining Tehran’s position on the incident.

Tehran condemns attack, warns of 'false-flag' plots

Iran later condemned the drone attack targeting Barzani’s residence and office.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmail Baghaei said the attack was “a highly suspicious development that must be approached with vigilance and scrutiny,” according to Iran’s official IRNA news agency.

Baghaei reaffirmed Tehran’s commitment to maintaining and strengthening friendly relations with Iraq and the KRG in all areas of mutual interest.

He urged all sides to thwart what he called the “sinister plots of the enemies of Iran and Iraq” aimed at damaging the “fraternal relations between the two nations.”

Baghaei also cited previous warnings by Iraqi officials, including the country’s national security adviser, about the alleged discovery of cells linked to foreign parties involved in planning and carrying out “false flag” operations.

Araghchi says 'nothing justifies' attack

Araghchi also said “nothing justifies” the drone attack targeting Barzani’s office.

“Nothing justifies the reckless attack on PM Barzani’s office,” Araghchi said in a statement on X.

“Kurdish friends should be vigilant against false-flag ploys to sow discord between neighbors,” he added.

Araghchi said Iran had protected its “Kurdish friends against Saddam and DAESH,” referring to the late Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein and using an Arabic acronym for Daesh.

He added that Tehran is “thankful for the security they’ve provided on our border.”

The development came amid high regional tensions since February, when Israel and the United States launched coordinated attacks on Iran’s military, nuclear and energy infrastructure.

Tehran responded with missile and drone attacks on Israeli and U.S. targets across the region.

On June 18, Iran and the United States signed a memorandum of understanding through Pakistani and Qatari mediation, ending hostilities and beginning negotiations toward a final agreement.

The talks later stalled over disputes about maritime security and freedom of navigation through the Strait of Hormuz, a critical export route for Gulf oil and gas.

August 17, 2026 10:38 PM GMT+03:00
More From Türkiye Today