Israel is considering closing its consulate in Istanbul, one of its first diplomatic missions in the world, after the building was targeted in a shooting in April, an Israeli source reportedly told Agence France-Presse (AFP) on Wednesday.
The Israeli Embassy in Ankara will remain open, but without diplomatic personnel, after staff were evacuated in the wake of Oct. 7.
Diplomats were also withdrawn from the Istanbul consulate, located in a business district of Türkiye’s largest city.
Both the embassy in Ankara and the consulate in Istanbul have been staffed by Turkish personnel since then.
“The issue is under discussion; no decision has been made,” the Israeli source said, referring to plans to demolish the building housing the Istanbul consulate as part of earthquake preparation measures.
The Israeli source said some officials had raised concerns over the cost of keeping the vacant Istanbul premises.
“Some argue these vacant premises, that belong to us, are costing us a lot of money,” the source said.
The discussion comes after a shooting took place near the consulate building on April 7.
No one has claimed responsibility for the attack. Authorities blamed a “terrorist organization which exploits religion,” without providing further details.
Türkiye is currently represented in Israel by a charge d’affaires after its last ambassador was recalled following Oct. 7.
Since the start of the war in Gaza, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has repeatedly criticized Israel’s actions and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
Erdogan has compared Netanyahu to Hitler and described him as a perpetrator of “genocide.”
Türkiye’s Jewish community numbers about 15,000 people, down from 55,000 in the 1950s.
In 1949, Türkiye became the first Muslim-majority state to recognize Israel.
The two countries re-established diplomatic relations in 2016 after a six-year break that began in May 2010, when Israeli forces raided the Gaza Freedom Flotilla in international waters.
Nine activists were killed in the raid, including eight Turkish citizens, after Israeli forces stormed the Turkish-flagged Mavi Marmara vessel.
The Israeli navy last Monday intercepted a new flotilla seeking to deliver aid to Gaza, the third such attempt since Oct. 7, 2023.
The flotilla had sailed from southern Türkiye last week.