The prime minister of Yemen’s Houthis was killed in an Israeli airstrike along with other officials earlier this week, the Iran-backed group announced Saturday.
Ahmed Ghaleb Nasser Al-Rahawi, who was appointed last year, is the most senior official known to have been killed in a series of Israeli strikes during the war in Gaza.
“We announce the martyrdom of the fighter Ahmed Ghaleb Nasser Al-Rahawi... along with several of his ministerial colleagues, as they were targeted by the treacherous Israeli criminal enemy,” a Houthi statement said.
“Others among their companions were injured with moderate to serious wounds and are receiving medical care since Thursday afternoon,” it added.
The Israeli army said Thursday that it “precisely” hit a Houthi military target in Sanaa. Israeli media suggested the entire Houthi Cabinet was eliminated in the attack.
The strike hit the Houthi-held capital on Thursday. The Houthis, claiming solidarity with Palestinians, have frequently fired missiles and drones at Israel during the Gaza war.
The group have also targeted shipping in the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden that they claim is linked to Israel.
The Houthis control large parts of Yemen, which has been mired in war since 2014, and are part of Iran’s anti-Israel alliance alongside militant groups across the Middle East.