The United Arab Emirates said Sunday that a drone strike near the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant did not trigger any radioactive leak and posed no threat to public safety after a fire broke out outside the facility’s inner perimeter.
The UAE’s nuclear regulator, the Federal Authority for Nuclear Regulation (FANR), said the incident did not affect the plant’s operational safety or the readiness of its critical systems.
"There has been no release of radioactive material, radiological safety levels remain within normal ranges, and there is no risk to the public or the environment," the authority noted.
Earlier on Sunday, the Abu Dhabi Media Office said emergency crews responded to a fire involving an electrical generator outside the plant’s protected inner perimeter in the Al Dhafra Region.
The UAE Ministry of Defense later said air defense systems intercepted two of three drones that entered the country from its western border, while a third drone struck the generator near the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant.
Investigations into the source of the attack are ongoing, the ministry said. Authorities added that precautionary measures were swiftly implemented, the fire was brought under control and no injuries were reported.
The International Atomic Energy Agency described the incident as alarming despite normal radiation readings remaining in place at the facility.
IAEA Director General Rafael Grossi expressed "grave concern" over the strike, warning that "military activity that threatens nuclear safety is unacceptable."
The UAE Foreign Ministry condemned the strike as a "dangerous escalation" and stressed that the country would not accept threats to its sovereignty or security.
Regional tensions have intensified in recent months following military exchanges involving the U.S, Israel and Iran, with Gulf states increasingly facing spillover security risks linked to the broader conflict.