A U.S. military attack on Iran would be "a great disaster" for the region, and Türkiye is doing everything possible to prevent it, Turkish Parliament Speaker Numan Kurtulmus said on Saturday.
"Türkiye's stance on this matter is very clear and definitive. We continuously convey this to the parties involved. A U.S. attack on Iran would be a disaster for the region," Kurtulmus told journalists after an iftar program in Istanbul.
"New instabilities would emerge, and Allah forbid, even if it starts as a short-term attack, it could last long and lead to great vulnerabilities and upheavals with no telling where it would end. We explain this to our counterparts at every opportunity," he added.
Kurtulmus argued that the U.S. should recognize the lessons of its previous military interventions.
"The United States has not benefited in terms of its own national interests from any of the countries it previously occupied for long periods. America did not get what it wanted from the Afghanistan occupation, the Iraq occupation, or other occupations—it paid very heavy prices," he said.
"I believe they will not resort to such a path, that political reason requires this. But the American administration is not just about itself. We know how influential the Zionist lobby is there," Kurtulmus noted.
Turkish Parliament Speaker identified external influence on U.S. foreign policy as a key factor in determining whether an attack occurs.
"Especially how influential the Zionist lobby that wants to save Netanyahu will be on America's Iran policy will be the main factor determining whether America will attack or not, and if it does, what its scope will be," he said.
"I hope they don't do such a thing. This would be a great disaster for the region. Türkiye is also putting forth every means at its disposal to prevent this," Kurtulmus added.
Meanwhile, Serbia and Sweden have urged their citizens in Iran to leave the country after Trump threatened military action over Iran's nuclear program.
"Due to the deteriorating security situation, citizens of the Republic of Serbia are not recommended to travel to Iran in the coming period. All those who are in Iran are recommended to leave the country as soon as possible," Serbia's foreign ministry said in a statement.
Swedish Foreign Minister Maria Malmer Stenergard issued a "strong appeal addressed to Swedish citizens who are in Iran to leave."
The parliament speaker warned that the international system was shifting dangerously toward one where only the powerful prevail.
"The world is moving from a rules-based international system with principles to a world where only the strong and powerful have their say. This is extremely dangerous and will make the already fragile world system even more fragile," Kurtulmus said.
He cited recent events, including the removal of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro and threats to Greenland, as evidence of this shift.
"Türkiye must stand firmly on its own feet, unite all its internal differences with a common understanding, and use strong initiatives to eliminate conflicts in its region," he said.
Kurtulmus also addressed ongoing suffering in Gaza, noting that despite the establishment of a peace council, humanitarian conditions remain dire.
"Although the Rafah border crossing appears open on paper and entry and exit appear open, it is not actually open. There are still enormous threats and restrictions regarding the entry of aid convoys," he said.
"While we sit at our comfortable iftar tables, the people of Gaza continue to suffer, trying to break their fasts with two morsels of food in their tents half-filled with water," he added.
He condemned Israeli settlers' continued actions in the West Bank, saying, "Israeli usurpers continue their oppression of Palestinians" while "the whole world watches and nothing can be done."