Close
newsletters Newsletters
X Instagram Youtube

US-Iran draft agreement could be announced within hours: Report

The remains of the Shajarat al-Tayyiba Primary School, which was targeted in an attack, are seen in Minab, Iran, on March 31, 2026. (AA Photo)
Photo
BigPhoto
The remains of the Shajarat al-Tayyiba Primary School, which was targeted in an attack, are seen in Minab, Iran, on March 31, 2026. (AA Photo)
May 22, 2026 03:02 PM GMT+03:00

The final draft of a possible agreement between the United States and Iran, mediated by Pakistan, is reportedly expected to be announced within hours.

According to a report published on Friday by Saudi Arabia-based Al Arabiya, citing sources, Washington and Tehran are expected to announce the draft agreement later in the day.

Al Arabiya also published what it described as the final draft text of a possible peace agreement between the two sides.

Report outlines nine-point agreement

According to the report, the agreement would take effect immediately after being officially announced by both parties.

The reported provisions include:

  • An immediate, comprehensive and unconditional ceasefire across land, sea and air domains
  • Mutual commitments not to target military, civilian or economic infrastructure
  • An end to military operations and media warfare
  • Commitments to respect sovereignty, territorial integrity and non-interference in internal affairs
  • Guarantees for freedom of navigation in the Persian Gulf, the Strait of Hormuz and the Sea of Oman
  • Creation of a joint implementation and dispute-resolution mechanism
  • Launch of negotiations within seven days on unresolved issues
  • Gradual lifting of U.S. sanctions in exchange for Iranian compliance
  • Emphasis on adherence to international law and the U.N. Charter

No official confirmation of the draft text had been issued by either Washington or Tehran as of Friday.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi (L) meets Pakistani Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi (R) in Tehran, Iran on May 21, 2026. (Iranian Foreign Ministry/Handout/AA Photo)
TEHRAN, IRAN - MAY 21: (----EDITORIAL USE ONLY - MANDATORY CREDIT - 'IRANIAN FOREIGN MINISTRY' / HANDOUT' - NO MARKETING NO ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS - DISTRIBUTED AS A SERVICE TO CLIENTS----) Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi (L) meets Pakistani Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi (R) in Tehran, Iran on May 21, 2026. Naqvi's visit aims to "facilitate the exchange of messages" between Iran and the United States, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei said on Wednesday. ( Iranian Foreign Ministry / Handout - Anadolu Agency )

Rubio cites ‘good signs’ in talks

Meanwhile, U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on Thursday there were encouraging developments in negotiations with Iran, while cautioning against excessive optimism.

“There are some good signs,” Rubio told reporters. “I don't want to be overly optimistic as well. So let's see what happens in the next few days.”

“In talks with Iran, I think we've made some progress,” he added, while noting that Iran’s political system remained “a little fractured.”

Rubio reiterated that President Donald Trump preferred a diplomatic outcome.

“If we can get a good deal done, that would be great,” Rubio said.

“But if we can't get a good deal, the president's been clear; he has other options.”

Regional tensions escalated after the United States and Israel launched strikes against Iran on Feb. 28.

Tehran responded with strikes targeting Israeli and U.S. partners in the Gulf and moved to close the Strait of Hormuz.

A ceasefire brokered through Pakistani mediation took effect on April 8, though negotiations in Islamabad failed to produce a final settlement.

Trump later extended the truce indefinitely while maintaining restrictions on maritime traffic linked to Iranian ports through the Strait of Hormuz.

May 22, 2026 03:41 PM GMT+03:00
More From Türkiye Today