Close
newsletters Newsletters
X Instagram Youtube

US reaffirms full commitment to Gaza peace plan

An internally displaced Palestinian man walks past the rubble of buildings destroyed by the Israeli military, in Khan Yunis southern Gaza Strip on August 11, 2026. (AFP Photo)
Photo
BigPhoto
An internally displaced Palestinian man walks past the rubble of buildings destroyed by the Israeli military, in Khan Yunis southern Gaza Strip on August 11, 2026. (AFP Photo)
August 21, 2026 11:58 AM GMT+03:00

The U.S. State Department said it is committed to the "full implementation" of U.S. President Donald Trump's 21-point Gaza peace plan, confirming it formally notified Congress last month of its intent to provide funding for the planned International Stabilization Force (ISF) in Gaza, even as the plan has faced resistance from Israel.

"On July 30, the Department of State notified Congress of funding support for the International Stabilization Force," a State Department spokesperson told state-run Anadolu Agency (AA).

"This funding is initial as we continue to support the work of the Board of Peace," the spokesperson said, without specifying the amount involved.

Reuters had earlier reported that the U.S. plans to provide $206 million for the Gaza peacekeeping force, according to letters it reviewed.

Separately, State Department spokesman Tommy Pigott told the New York Times (NYT) that Washington is "committed to the full implementation of the President's historic 21-point peace plan, of which the ISF is a key component."

He said the ISF is needed to secure stability and security in Gaza and that the administration continues to take the necessary steps toward that goal.

"Because of the President, a massive global coalition has been assembled through the Board of Peace and the hostages have been released. We are encouraged by the steady progress being made by the Board of Peace," Pigott said.

The State Department's notification to Congress came the same day Trump announced that his Board of Peace had reached an agreement with Hamas for the group's "complete disarmament" and other armed factions in Gaza, with Israeli forces to withdraw in phases and the ISF working alongside a new Palestinian police force.

Displaced Palestinians living along the coastal strip of blockaded Gaza City carry out daily activities among the ruins of destroyed buildings during sunset in Gaza, Palestine, Aug. 14, 2026. (AA Photo)
Displaced Palestinians living along the coastal strip of blockaded Gaza City carry out daily activities among the ruins of destroyed buildings during sunset in Gaza, Palestine, Aug. 14, 2026. (AA Photo)

Plan faces Israeli resistance

The plan has since faced resistance from Israel.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejected it this month, telling his Cabinet that Israeli forces will not withdraw until Hamas is truly disarmed.

Hamas has said it remains committed to the roadmap.

Senior White House adviser Jared Kushner traveled to the region this week, meeting with Hamas officials in Egypt before holding talks with Netanyahu in Israel alongside Board of Peace envoy Nikolay Mladenov. According to Israeli media reports, Netanyahu and Kushner disagreed over Israel's continued strikes in Gaza, with Netanyahu insisting the strikes would continue and Kushner voicing opposition.

The talks did not appear to break the impasse.

The day after Kushner met with Netanyahu, Israel conducted an airstrike on Gaza that killed at least seven people. Israel's defense minister said the strike signaled the country's unwavering position.

The plan envisions a phased process for disarming Hamas and transferring its weapons to a new Palestinian administration while Israel gradually withdraws from Gaza, with the ISF occupying Gaza to help oversee demilitarization.

Netanyahu has refused to pull back Israel's military until Hamas fully disarms, and deadly clashes have continued intermittently since a ceasefire took effect in October 2025.

Displaced Palestinians living along the coastal strip of blockaded Gaza City carry out daily activities among the ruins of destroyed buildings during sunset in Gaza, Palestine, Aug. 14, 2026. (AA Photo)
Displaced Palestinians living along the coastal strip of blockaded Gaza City carry out daily activities among the ruins of destroyed buildings during sunset in Gaza, Palestine, Aug. 14, 2026. (AA Photo)

Casualties since ceasefire

Mediators continue efforts to advance implementation of the ceasefire agreement, which took effect Oct. 10, 2025.

Israeli violations of the agreement have killed 1,283 Palestinians and wounded 4,248 others, according to the latest figures from Gaza's Health Ministry.

Since Oct. 8, 2023, Israel's offensive in Gaza has killed more than 73,000 Palestinians and wounded more than 174,000, while destroying about 90% of the territory's infrastructure.

August 21, 2026 11:58 AM GMT+03:00
More From Türkiye Today