U.S. President Donald Trump stated on Sunday that the United States would not rush into a deal with Iran and that the naval blockade on the country would remain in full force until an agreement was reached, certified and signed, a notably more measured tone than his Saturday post announcing the deal had been "largely negotiated."
Trump opened the post with a comparison to the 2015 Iran nuclear agreement, which he called "one of the worst deals ever made by our Country" and a "direct path to Iran developing a Nuclear Weapon."
He said the deal being negotiated by his administration was "the exact opposite."
"The negotiations are proceeding in an orderly and constructive manner, and I have informed my representatives not to rush into a deal in that time is on our side," Trump wrote on Truth Social.
"The Blockade will remain in full force and effect until an agreement is reached, certified, and signed. Both sides must take their time and get it right. There can be no mistakes!" he added.
Trump also said the U.S.-Iran relationship was "becoming a much more professional and productive one" but reiterated his red line: "They must understand, however, that they cannot develop or procure a Nuclear Weapon or Bomb."
He closed by thanking Middle Eastern countries for their support and cooperation, and floated a remarkable proposition, suggesting that regional countries that have not yet joined the Abraham Accords should do so, and that "perhaps the Islamic Republic of Iran would like to join, as well."
The U.S. and Israel launched strikes on Iran on February 28, killing top Iranian officials, including the supreme leader.
Iran retaliated with strikes on Israel and U.S. Gulf allies and effectively closed the Strait of Hormuz. A ceasefire brokered by Pakistan took effect on April 8 and was later extended indefinitely by Trump.