Galatasaray winger Leroy Sane has kept his place in Germany’s 26-man World Cup squad, giving the Turkish Super Lig a direct link to one of Europe’s most closely watched national teams at this summer’s tournament in the United States, Canada and Mexico.
Germany coach Julian Nagelsmann named Sane in the attacking group on May 21, even as he admitted that the forward’s club statistics this season had not fully stood out. The coach, however, pointed to Sane’s recent impact with the national team, highlighting his “five goal contributions in his past four games for Germany.”
The decision keeps Sane in Germany’s plans for a tournament in which Nagelsmann has made clear that the target is the title. “I have repeatedly said we want to become world champions,” he said.
Sane, who now plays for Galatasaray, was included among Germany’s forwards alongside Maximilian Beier, Kai Havertz, Lennart Karl, Deniz Undav and Nick Woltemade.
For Türkiye-based readers, his selection stands out because it places a Galatasaray player inside Germany’s World Cup squad, at a time when Nagelsmann is trying to rebuild confidence around a team that has struggled at recent major tournaments.
Although Nagelsmann said Sane’s club form had not fully met expectations statistically, he still backed the winger’s international contribution. His recent record for Germany appears to have helped him hold on to his place in a competitive attacking group.
The biggest surprise came in goal, where veteran Bayern Munich goalkeeper Manuel Neuer was recalled after retiring from international football in 2024.
Nagelsmann confirmed that the 40-year-old World Cup winner is being planned as Germany’s number one ahead of Oliver Baumann. He praised Neuer’s presence and experience, saying: “Everyone knows the aura and quality Manu has, what he brings to a team.”
The coach also described Neuer as “world class” and said the goalkeeper could affect both his own team and the opposition. “He has an impact on his own team, on the opposition, and can create special moments,” Nagelsmann added.
Despite Neuer’s return, Joshua Kimmich will keep the captaincy.
Neuer is the only remaining player from Germany’s 2014 World Cup-winning squad. Another member of that team, Matthias Ginter, was left out, with Newcastle defender Malick Thiaw preferred in central defense.
Bayern Munich goalkeeper Jonas Urbig, who had been called up for the March friendlies, was dropped from the squad but will still travel with the team to help with training during the tournament.
Jamal Musiala also returns after missing Germany’s March matches while recovering from a broken ankle. In attack, Nagelsmann named several players based in England, including Premier League champion Kai Havertz of Arsenal, Liverpool’s Florian Wirtz and Newcastle’s Nick Woltemade.
Bayern Munich’s 18-year-old Lennart Karl was also called up to a major tournament for the first time.
Germany enters the tournament with pressure to improve after early exits in the last two World Cups. The team crashed out in the group stage in 2018 and again in Qatar four years later.
The team's record in recent European Championships has also been limited. Since reaching the Euro 2016 semifinals, Germany has won only one knockout match in the competition, beating Denmark 2-0 at Euro 2024 on home soil.
Before heading to the tournament, Germany will play Finland on May 31 and then face co-hosts the United States in Chicago on June 6. The team will be based in North Carolina during the World Cup and will play in Group C with Curacao, the Ivory Coast and Ecuador.