The U.S. is talking to Cuba “right now,” President Donald Trump said Monday. As his administration maintains an embargo and seeks a deal with the Cuban leadership, he told reporters.
Trump said Secretary of State Marco Rubio is holding the discussions and that “they should absolutely make a deal.”
He called Cuba “a failed nation” and noted that, despite the ongoing talks, there is an embargo, no oil, and no money flowing to the island.
When asked if he would consider a military operation similar to one conducted in Venezuela, Trump declined to answer directly, suggesting that if such an operation were undertaken, it “wouldn’t be a very tough operation,” though he added he does not think it will be necessary.
The U.S. has reinstated its blockade of Cuba and signaled its intention to overthrow the communist government, including imposing an embargo on fuel deliveries to the island, which already faces acute shortages.
Washington has previously halted oil supplies from Mexico and Venezuela to Cuba and has said it may impose tariffs on countries that supply fuel to Havana.
Trump’s remarks align with other statements earlier this month that the U.S. was beginning to talk to “the highest people in Cuba” as his administration tightened oil supply restrictions and increased pressure on the Cuban government.
Tensions remain high as the U.S. continues its pressure campaign, while dialogue with the Cuban leadership appears ongoing, though it has not yet produced a formal agreement.