Close
newsletters Newsletters
X Instagram Youtube

Iran Guards threaten ‘devastating blows’ if US, Israel strike again

Zolfaghar missiles are displayed during a rally marking al-Quds (Jerusalem) Day in Tehran, Iran, June 23, 2017. (AFP Photo)
Photo
BigPhoto
Zolfaghar missiles are displayed during a rally marking al-Quds (Jerusalem) Day in Tehran, Iran, June 23, 2017. (AFP Photo)
May 20, 2026 12:48 PM GMT+03:00

Iran’s Revolutionary Guards warned Wednesday that the Middle East war would spread beyond the region if the U.S. and Israel resume attacks on Iran, as threats between Washington and Tehran intensified despite an April 8 ceasefire.

The warning came after U.S. President Donald Trump said Washington could strike Iran again if no lasting settlement is reached in the coming days.

“If the aggression against Iran is repeated, the promised regional war will this time spread far beyond the region, and our devastating blows will crush you,” the Guards said in a statement published on their website Sepah News.

The U.S. and Iran have continued exchanging proposals to end the war, which began on Feb. 28, but both sides have also increased their warnings in recent days.

An Iranian flag is seen on a residential building that was damaged by strikes at Vahdat town in Karaj, southwest of Tehran, Iran, April 3, 2026. (AFP Photo)
An Iranian flag is seen on a residential building that was damaged by strikes at Vahdat town in Karaj, southwest of Tehran, Iran, April 3, 2026. (AFP Photo)

Guards warn of wider war

The Revolutionary Guards said the U.S. and Israel should not assume Iran had used all of its capabilities during the nearly 40-day war.

“The American-Zionist enemy... must know that despite the offensive carried out against us using the full capabilities of the world's two most expensive armies, we have not deployed the full power of the Islamic revolution,” the Guards said.

The war killed top Iranian leaders, including Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, and triggered retaliatory missile and drone attacks by Tehran across the region.

A cease-fire has been in place since April 8, while efforts to reach a lasting agreement have continued.

The guard's statement came as Washington has warned that military action could resume if negotiations fail.

Trump sets short deadline

Trump said Tuesday that strikes could resume within days if no agreement is reached.

“I'm saying two or three days, maybe Friday, Saturday, Sunday, something, maybe early next week, a limited period of time,” Trump said.

He said a day earlier that Gulf Arab leaders had asked him to hold off on an attack at the last moment.

Trump’s remarks followed earlier warnings that Washington could strike Iran again if no deal is reached.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi also warned against renewed fighting.

“A return to war will feature many more surprises,” Araghchi wrote on X.

The cease-fire has remained in place since April 8, but the latest statements from both sides show tensions remain high as talks continue.

May 20, 2026 12:56 PM GMT+03:00
More From Türkiye Today