Close
newsletters Newsletters
X Instagram Youtube

Cuba accuses Rubio of targeting economy, basic services

A Cuban soldier waves a national flag as he takes part in the
Photo
BigPhoto
A Cuban soldier waves a national flag as he takes part in the "Anti-Imperialist" protest in front of the US Embassy against the US incursion in Venezuela, where 32 Cuban soldiers lost their lives, in Havana on Jan. 16, 2026. (AFP Photo)
August 21, 2026 09:54 AM GMT+03:00

Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez on Thursday accused U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio of imposing measures against Cuban companies and officials that he said were intended to damage the country’s economy and restrict its ability to provide essential services.

Rodriguez said the measures were obstructing the transport of containers carrying food, medicine and medical equipment, much of it purchased by Cuban private micro, small and medium-sized enterprises.

“The U.S. Secretary of State continues to punish Cuban companies with the deliberate purpose of harming our economy and preventing the government of Cuba from guaranteeing basic services for the population,” Rodriguez wrote on the U.S. social media platform X.

He said Cubans were already facing a critical situation because of the longstanding U.S. embargo, which Havana describes as a blockade.

US measures target state institutions, officials

According to media reports, the U.S. placed nine Cuban state institutions, including the Construction Ministry, on its sanctions list.

Individuals linked to Cuba’s mining, foreign trade and metallurgy sectors were also targeted.

The measures were reportedly imposed as part of Washington’s pressure campaign aimed at bringing about political and economic change in Cuba.

Rodriguez also criticized actions targeting executives and officials of the Cuban Institute of Friendship with the Peoples, or ICAP.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks during a meeting with foreign ministers of the Gulf Cooperation Council Member States in Manama, June 25, 2026. (AFP Photo)
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks during a meeting with foreign ministers of the Gulf Cooperation Council Member States in Manama, June 25, 2026. (AFP Photo)

Three senior ICAP officials targeted

Three senior officials from ICAP, which had previously been sanctioned by the U.S., were also targeted.

They were identified as ICAP President Fernando Gonzalez Llort, First Vice President Noemi Rabaza Fernandez and North America Director Leima Martinez Freire.

Gonzalez Llort was one of five members of the Red Avispa, or Wasp Network, who were convicted and imprisoned in the U.S. before later being returned to Cuba.

August 21, 2026 09:54 AM GMT+03:00
More From Türkiye Today