Türkiye’s Supreme Election Council rejected a Republican People’s Party (CHP) appeal on Thursday after a court ruling suspended party leader Ozgur Ozel and his administration from office.
The council's head, Serdar Mutta, announced the decision following a board meeting, saying the applications were submitted after the court temporarily removed Ozel and his management from office and handed control of the party to former CHP leader Kemal Kilicdaroglu.
The CHP's application argued that implementing the court’s injunction was "materially and legally impossible" and asked the election board to confirm the validity of mandates issued during CHP congresses and conventions held between 2023 and 2025.
The petition also sought confirmation that officials elected during those gatherings could remain in office under the electoral body’s constitutional authority, arguing that delegates elected at previous congresses had already lost their status under the Political Parties Law.
The board rejected the request, ruling that the appeal did not fall within its authority.
The dispute centers on the CHP’s 2023 party congress, where Ozgur Ozel defeated longtime chairman Kemal Kilicdaroglu following the opposition’s presidential election loss to President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. The court later annulled the congress over allegations of procedural irregularities and vote-buying, claims the CHP denied.
The ruling on Thursday temporarily removed Ozel and the current party administration from office and reinstated Kilicdaroglu and his former leadership team.
CHP officials argued that only the Supreme Election Council has the authority to invalidate party congresses.
Meanwhile, Kilicdaroglu and Ozel held a phone call following Friday’s court ruling, during which the former CHP leader told the suspended chairman he intended to take the party to a new convention "at the most appropriate time." Ozel welcomed the proposal and said he would discuss it with party officials before responding, according to Kilicdaroglu’s adviser.