Close
newsletters Newsletters
X Instagram Youtube

Pakistan relays revised Iranian proposal to US as mediated talks continue

Weapons training is conducted for civilians at Vank Square, where instructors in military uniforms demonstrate how to disassemble and reassemble firearms, as well as aiming techniques, in Tehran, capital of Iran, on May 17, 2026. (AA Photo)
Photo
BigPhoto
Weapons training is conducted for civilians at Vank Square, where instructors in military uniforms demonstrate how to disassemble and reassemble firearms, as well as aiming techniques, in Tehran, capital of Iran, on May 17, 2026. (AA Photo)
May 18, 2026 11:51 AM GMT+03:00

Pakistan has shared a revised Iranian proposal with the United States aimed at ending the conflict in the Middle East, according to a Reuters report citing a Pakistani source on Monday.

“We don't have much time,” the source said when asked whether narrowing differences would take time, adding that both sides “keep changing their goalposts.”

The development comes as Iran confirmed that negotiations with Washington remain ongoing through Pakistani mediation.

Iran says talks continue, rejects media diplomacy

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei said Tehran would not conduct negotiations through the media and confirmed that contacts with the US are continuing.

“Talks are continuing under Pakistani mediation,” Baghaei said during his weekly press conference in Tehran.

“We have no hostility with any country in the region. However, regional countries, especially the United Arab Emirates (UAE), need to draw lessons from recent developments,” he added.

Baghaei said the US had presented proposals and Iran had responded with its own positions.

“The Americans presented proposals, and we also presented our views,” he said.

He also dismissed speculation regarding uranium enrichment and nuclear material issues.

“They raised speculation about enrichment and uranium materials, and we announced that it has no basis,” he said.

An infographic titled "US-Iran tensions" created in Ankara, Türkiye on May 8, 2026. (AA Graphics)
An infographic titled "US-Iran tensions" created in Ankara, Türkiye on May 8, 2026. (AA Graphics)

Strait of Hormuz remains major sticking point

Baghaei addressed ongoing disputes over the Strait of Hormuz, saying Iran was coordinating with Oman on mechanisms related to the waterway.

“We are in contact with Oman to establish a mechanism regarding the Strait of Hormuz. Technical delegations also held meetings last week,” he said.

He argued that Iran had worked extensively to maintain navigation security and defended discussions over possible transit fees.

“There are legal and logical grounds for charging transit fees through the strait,” Baghaei said.

“Reducing the issue of the Strait of Hormuz solely to its economic dimension oversimplifies the matter and distracts from its main focus.”

Baghaei also rejected criticism of Iran’s role in maritime security.

“Russia and China know that insecurity at sea and threats to maritime trade originate from the U.S.,” he said.

“We share the same view with China regarding freedom of maritime trade. It is the U.S. that creates problems for maritime trade through piracy.”

Regional tensions escalated after the United States and Israel launched strikes against Iran in February, triggering Iranian retaliation against Israel and US-aligned Gulf states, including the UAE, alongside disruptions in the Strait of Hormuz.

A ceasefire took effect on April 8 through Pakistani mediation, but negotiations in Islamabad failed to secure a permanent settlement.

U.S. President Donald Trump later extended the truce indefinitely while diplomatic efforts continued.

May 18, 2026 11:53 AM GMT+03:00
More From Türkiye Today