Fenerbahce, one of the top football teams in Türkiye, has officially announced that itshead coach, Jose Mourinho, has been sacked. Istanbul-based club released a statement confirming the departure of the Portuguese manager, who had taken charge with high expectations earlier this year.
Fenerbahce stocks rose by 6% after the team announced Mourinho's departure.
The 62-year-old manager signed with the club on July 1, 2024. During his spell, he led Fenerbahce in 62 matches, securing 37 wins, 14 draws, and 11 defeats, which gave him an average of 2.02 points per game.
Mourinho's recent statements included veiled criticism toward Fenerbahce's management and squad. He was accused of lowering the team's morale ahead of crucial games.
Mourinho’s remarks ahead of Fenerbahce’s clash with Benfica have raised eyebrows, as they are seen as disparaging toward his own team. Mourinho said his former teams were much better compared to Fenerbahce when asked about a psychological advantage against Benfica, a team he had never lost against in his career.
Furthermore, when questioned about Brazilian talents that he is interested in acquiring as Fenerbahce's coach, he bluntly stated that Fenerbahce lacks the financial strength to sign them.
Speaking to reporters after the match at Mersin Stadium in May 2025, Mourinho was asked whether the heavy defeat and years of absence from the Champions League had damaged his connection with the club.
In response, the Portuguese coach said: "In the last seven years, I have reached more European finals than Turkish football has in its history."
Jose Mourinho, a world-renowned coach who previously managed clubs such as Chelsea, Real Madrid, Manchester United, and Roma, had joined Fenerbahce with the hope of guiding the Turkish side to domestic and European success.
His appointment was seen as a major step for the club, which competes in the Turkish Super Lig, the country’s top professional football division.
In its official communication, Fenerbahce declared that the collaboration with Mourinho had concluded, without providing further details about the reasons behind the decision or the next steps for either side.
In its statement, the club expressed gratitude, saying: “We have parted ways with Jose Mourinho, who has served as our head coach since the 2024-2025 season. We thank him for his efforts for our team and wish him success in his future career.”
The announcement marked the end of a brief but highly visible chapter for the club, which had aimed to leverage Mourinho’s international experience and reputation.
The departure of the Portuguese coach leaves questions about Fenerbahce’s immediate future, as the club will now focus on selecting a new manager to lead the team in the ongoing season. Supporters and observers alike will be watching closely to see how this leadership change may shape the club’s ambitions both domestically and on the European stage.